Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A Reason to Celebrate 13 years!!!

It is amazing how one phone call can literally change your life forever. Sitting in the movies on June 5, 1999 getting ready to watch October Sky when the phone call came. Not realizing that we ( Me & Hubby) should answer it we chose to ignore it. Not once but twice!! The third call came and we guessed someone was trying to get ahold of us. Not even 5 minutes into our movie and we get interrupted. Although this interruption is the kind you want to get you when you have been hooking up to a dialysis machine for the last 18 months. My hubby came back into the theater after taking the call and says "Life link called and they have a kidney for you". Leaving the theater I called Life link and heard these wonderful words "it is a perfect match, you won the lottery on this one. The only way you get a match this good is if somebody is living related to you". I hung up the phone and knew this is it!!! I guess they say third times the charm, this was the third time. I had been called twice several months before and those did not work out ( that is for another blog).

Off I went to receive the gift that would free me from hooking up to a machine every night. On June 6th 1999 I received a kidney transplant. Every year has been a celebration of life since.Today marks my 13th celebration of life. Each year I celebrate, I thank God for the gift I was given. Then my focus changes to not only thankfulness for my gift but also thankfulness for the family that decided to give that gift amidst their loss and tragedy. My gift came from the family of an 18 year old boy who died from a gunshot wound to the head. What a sacrificial gift for them as a family to change the lives of others when they had just experienced a tragedy.
  I encourage everyone to become an organ donor. Because you never know whose life you will affect.Take the time daily to celebrate life because you never know what others might be going through. They might be struggling physically because they have to hook up to a dialysis machine everyday. Or they might have just lost their son tragically. Take the time to celebrate everyone around you. You never know how long you will have them.

No comments:

Post a Comment